Sometimes I need to test my app or try some new apps on main Android devices available on the market. Of course I don’t want to install them on my working cellphone. Under such circumstances, I prefer installing a virtual machine on my PC and testing whatever on it. Here in this post, I provide a way to run Android in Virtualbox.
Choose an Android 4.0.3_r1 (20120518 build)
Install (import) the package into VirtualBox
Install Android SDK
- Download Android SDK
- Extract the file to “$ANDROID”, and go to
./androidand install Android SDK Platform-tools
Set up NAT
- Open VirtualBox
- Go to buildroid VM’s Settings → Network
- Under Adapter 1 tab, choose Attached to: NAT.
- Expand Advanced and click Port Forwarding button.
- Click Insert new rule button, input
5555into Host Port and Guest Port.
- Click OK to return to VirtualBox.
Install Google play
- Download Google apps
- go to
$ANDROID/platform-tools, and run
adb connect localhost adb push $PATH/buildroid-gapps-ics-20120317-signed.tgz /sdcard/ adb shell su mount -o remount,rw /system tar -xvzf /sdcard/buildroid-gapps-ics-20120317-signed.tgz mount -o remount,ro /system reboot